God can Heal a Broken Heart but He has to have all the Pieces.

Isaiah 40:31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength, they will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

November 26, 2010

Facebook Ruins Marriage

I found these articles on Spiritually Unequal Marriage and thought them to be interesting and wanted to get some feedback about what you thought about the subject.

Facebook Ruins Marriage

Facebook ruins marriage.
I’m sure you saw in the news a few weeks ago a Pastor in New Jersey gained national attention when he told his staff to close their Facbook accounts.
The gist of this requirement was his experience that in his marital counseling efforts, many marriages ended because of Facebook. A married spouse would find an old flame online, they began to chat and then ultimately began an affair.
Well this incident with the pastor opened up some fascinating and interesting conversation around our house, with my teen-daughter, my husband and a few of my friends.
So my question; Is Facebook a danger to marriages? Should we close down our account? Now don’t be shy, add your voice because I can tell you, this is a very real issue. We received many Google search hits on an article I wrote about this very issue a year ago.
So, what say you?
Can’t wait to hear your thoughts. Hugs, Lynn
Original Article: An affair? Facbook?

This is the original article:
An Affair? Facebook?

Do you think you could never have an affair?
I know this question appears outlandish. However, I want to tell you a story.
FACEBOOK: Write On my wall:
Hi Tina, I found you through our High school link in Facebook. Wow, your picture is gorgeous! How are you doing? What are you doing? I am settled in well with my medical practice. Yes, I went to med school in California and returned here to practice. I can’t wait to hear from you. Boy, did we have great fun at the football games. Write me.
HIS WALL: Hi, Wow, I am so glad you found me. I knew you would end up in med school. I am doing great. I was thrilled you wrote me. I always wondered what you were doing. I sometimes think about what life would have been if we had stayed together. You know, I honestly have missed you. I am kinda going through a tough time in my marriage and to see you name and message made me feel some happiness. I have a ton of fond memories of us in high school. Wow, would I love to see you again. Tell me more about yourself. Write me.
HER WALL: I am so sorry to hear you are in a tough place. I am also in a lonely place. I divorced last year. Man, it was ugly. I knew all along I missed out on the right girl, you. Hey, how about I give you a call and let’s catch up some more?
WARNING… WARNING…. WARNING….
Okay, my friends, this is how it happens. A casual online conversation with an old friend of the opposite sex. Facebook is a new phenomenon that is reconnecting people.
So can you tell me what went wrong here? What was Tina’s first mistake? What was her second? What should she have done?
DO YOU THINK THIS SCENARIO IS A REAL ISSUE? Be Blessed, Lynn

This was MY RESPONSE that I posted on her site.

I think if your marriage is centered around Christ and you are both committed to the relationship and it's boundaries then you would have nothing to worry about. However, if you are seeking out ex's and conversations that should not be occuring then you would have reason to close accounts. Facebook can be addicting but so many other things. There are many ways that cheating could take place that I don't believe Facebook would be the root cause. There is another issue going on in the marriage that needs to be addressed.

Posted by: Heather
Their website is http://www.spirituallyunequalmarriage.com/ if you want to check them out.
With Love,

2 comments:

  1. I think looking up ex's would be a dangerous thing to do. I think you have to have boundaries and limits with Facebook. It can be a great resource to keep in touch with family and loved ones but has to be used with discretion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the issue is Facebook or any other social media site. I think it is a heart issue. My husband and I have been together for 29 years and God has been at the center of our marriage the entire time. If God is at the core of your marriage then you have a solid foundation that Facebook or Classmates.com can never shatter.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, I love to hear from you! Comments make me smile and always brighten my day!