God can Heal a Broken Heart but He has to have all the Pieces.

Isaiah 40:31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength, they will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

January 9, 2011

What to say, what to do, and what has already been said

I was completely surprised and pretty shocked by something I received when I opened my email after I got home from work last night. At 2AM you really don’t think something is going to put a smile on your face, but it DID and I am grateful. Brought joy to my heart, which mostly happens through my girls but unexpectedly I received it tonight/today. More to come later…
Lately I have kind of been in a null on blogging. I usually have a ton of things going through my head that I want to say but recently I felt that maybe I had been throwing a sort of pity party. I don’t feel my posts have been encouraging but more depressing and dull. I don’t want to be the one who harps on the same thing and talks about it over and over. The kind of person you expect what their post will be about because they are all pretty much about the same thing and it doesn’t really interest you anymore. While the reason for starting to blog was about letting my feelings out in hope of self healing. And it has slowly begun to do that and much more. I have talked to many fascinating women whose stories have also inspired me.
In short, and not to drag this post out anymore, because I know a lot of them can be wordy and long(like I said, lots of things going on in my mind).
I have come across some quotes and verses that have given me inspiration and hope this past week. I am reading the last book in the series by Stephen Ministries * the ones the church sends every few months for those who are grieving* The books go in order by what stage you could be at during your first year after your loss. Well, the last book, I don’t even know if you can really call them books because they are very short, is called Rebuilding and Remembering. Since it is coming upon the 1 year anniversary of my brother’s death in a mere 20 days. Here are a few things I read that brought some comfort which could be applied to many situation’s life has handed you.
Tests of faith, perseverance, strength, and wisdom. Things we often need to be reminded of and as hard headed as we are, embedded in our brains daily.
The opening verse is Jeremiah 31:13 “I will turn their mourning into gladness, I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.” And believe me, when you are to the point where you are filled with so many different feelings you want to explode, he is there to calm your soul and give you rest.
Bob Diets in his book Life After Loss “The anniversary date of a loved one’s death is particularly significant. You will have done something you thought was impossible a few months earlier. You will have survived an entire year without someone who was as import to you as life itself.”
Henri Nouwen Heart Speaks to Heart “I trust in you Lord, but keep helping me in my many moments of distrust and doubt.”
Gary Sittser A Grace Disguised “Out of my pain, God became a living reality to me as never before.” I especially like this one! I now know we cannot fully understand how much we need him without coming to a point where you can’t live without him.
“Death changes us, the living. In the presence of death, we become more aware of life…It can inspire us to decide what really matters in life-and then to seek it” Candy Lightner Found of M.A.D.D. Giving Sorrow WordsAbraham Lincoln “The best thing about the future is that it only comes one day at a time.”
There are many others but like I said before, wanted to keep it short. Doesn’t really look like it turned out that way. So even if you don’t have the time to read it all, maybe skim it and pick out the parts that apply to you. These all do not have to be focused on death, they can apply to any life challenge that will change us whether good or bad.

6 comments:

  1. God bless you, Heather, as you work through your grief and other issues in your life. Thank you for joining us this Spiritual Sunday.
    I am sure the quotes you shared will minister to someone who really needs to hear them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will keep you in my prayers and this anniversary of your brothers loss. These are some great quotes.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your writings and you encourage me on days that I need it. I awarded you the stylish blog award you can pick it up when the post goes up on wednesday! Take care,
    {tara}@ undeservingrace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Heather, this is my first time visiting here. You share an amazing story about your brother and your healing-in-process. I am going to click on your link about the Stephen Ministries books because they sound wonderful. We also experienced a devastating loss in our family -- it will be a year in just a couple weeks. I mourn with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heather, I lost a dear brother too, so I can identify with your grief in a real way. But having a brother who was murdered must be the ultimate pain and shock - something you can never recover from without God's infinite grace, as you know from experience.
    Thank you for these scriptures and timely quotes.
    Love and prayers,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Heather, for sharing your heart with us again. I can't even imagine how much pain losing a brother would bring. I'm glad you are finding healing in many different ways. God will use your experiences to help others who are suffering similarly.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, I love to hear from you! Comments make me smile and always brighten my day!